Moving into a new apartment is stressful. The process is not as simple as throwing your belongings into boxes and placing them into a truck. There are many factors involved with moving house.
However, we are here to remove the stress. Below, we have compiled a moving schedule including tips of the most important factors to consider when moving into a new apartment. Read and execute our moving guide for a smooth moving experience.
Planning a move cannot be accomplished overnight. But, if you take the time to prepare, the process will not be as overwhelming. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
Transfer Your Information: Before you move, make sure you are aware of all the utilities you need to transfer. Set up these details in advance so you don’t need to do this after you move in. Also, it’s important to update your change of address form, which you can do online.
Purchase Packing Supplies: We recommend purchasing the following supplies.
- Boxes of different sizes
- Packing tape
- Marking pens
- Moving straps
- Large tarp or plastic sheet
- Padding supplies (blankets, clothes, linens, etc.)
Take Measurements: Do not make assumptions that your current furniture will fit perfectly in your new apartment. Make an appointment at your new space and pre-measure to ensure your furniture will fit.
Whether you choose to rent a moving truck or hire movers, this step should be accomplished months in advance. Most people move in the summer or on weekends, so if you’re one of those people, you will want to book as far in advance as you can.
Keep in mind that you will not only need to cover the price of the truck, but possibly the insurance as well. Be sure to check how much the insurance will cost you and what it actually covers.
The task most people dread is packing; however having an organized system aligned will greatly help.
- Label Boxes: Label the side of the box with what is inside and the room it will go in. Ensure you are marking the side of the box and not the top, so when the boxes are stacked up you will be able to see the label.
- Color Code Boxes: Designate a color for each room so when you are moving your helpers will easily know where to place the box. Simply mark the doors in your new apartment with a color post-it note for easy identification matching the color of the box.
- Pack Room by Room: For efficiency and organization, tackle packing one room at a time. By doing so, you will avoid running from room to room and it will make the unpacking process easier.
- Pack In Small Increments in Advance: We highly recommend packing in small stages rather than cramming it all into one night. Even packing one box a night will help lower stress in the days leading up to the big move.
- Take Pictures: Snap pictures of the wiring behind your electronics so when you need to set up your TV you know where to place each wire.
Ask for Help
The task of moving is not something you should attempt to tackle alone. If you are able to recruit friends or family to help you, the process will not only be faster but more enjoyable. Let’s face it, moving is an exciting time and there is no better way to celebrate than with those close to you.
Our last tip is to pack a small bag including essentials such as a toothbrush, soap, towel and clothes for the first few days. Think of this as an overnight bag, so when you first get to your new place you have all your essentials at hand.
We guarantee with organization and preparation, the process of moving will not be a complete nightmare. Utilize our guide for a more enjoyable process. Good luck in your move!